"Newport"

Rhode Island Oil on linen panel, 8" x 12" The red building on Marlborough St., opened in 1673, is still the White Horse Tavern today and was a a meeting place for the Colony's General Assembly. Serving in the Battle of Rhode Island in 1778, John Glover and his Marbleheaders became known as the "Amphibious Regiment" for their vital nautical skills. They played a crucial role in the war, ferrying Washington and his 2,400 men across the Delaware River in a blinding snowstorm in 1776.